Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stroke update 6-27-06


Hi girls, just wanted to do an update.

I'm not sure if I already posted or not but my Mom ended up having another stroke last week. The first stroke only effected her speech and the right side of her face but the second stroke has effected the entire right side of her body. Her speech is almost intelligible right now. She can't feed herself and has been put on a pureed food diet. She was originally in South Shore Hospital but Saturday they transferred her to Mass General in Boston. SSH felt they couldn't fully take care of my mother's needs.

Tests have showed that my mother's kidneys are not functioning properly but the Dr's have determined this is a preexsisting condition and they feel it's from the diabetes. She had a temporal biopsy done on Thursday and we are waiting for the results. This will show if my mother has an infection in her brain.

My Mom had me sign a healthcare proxy with her and we are filling out papers with a lawyer for power of attorney today. She wants to know that just in case anything happens I can take care of everything. I was so not prepared for this.

My Mom's caseworker called today and told us that my Mom will be discharged sometime this week but will be going straight to a Rehabilitation facility. She will need speech therapy and physical therapy. We're not sure how long she will have to stay so my brother is moving into her apartment and will take care of it until she can come home.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews