Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ruined BM


Girls, I think all my breastmilk might be ruined. I am so upset I don't even know what to do. I just tried to heat up 2 different bags from 2 different batches (I put a whole days worth of pumping together into a large ziploc freezer bag) and they both smelled "off." I stuck my finger in to taste it and it tasted AWFUL. I am devastated.

One day last week I went to put a batch in the freezer and I noticed the door wasn't shut tight. Turns out my FIL had gone in there to try and put some ice cream in the freezer. He had NO idea that the freezer is, literally, chock full of bm with no room to spare. He didn't shut the door tight and when I went out I noticed that some of the bags had sweat on them and some of them looked like they had started to thaw a little bit. I figured they'd be okay b/c they weren't all thawed and it hadn't been that long since he had opened the door so I just shut it tight. But this morning I went to thaw her a bottle and it smelled bad. So I threw away that whole day. Went to the deep freezer, took out another bag, thawed one of the bags in it and same thing.

I have put SO much time and effort into pumping enough milk for Erynn you guys. I will be absolutely wrecked if I have to throw away an entire deep freezer of bm. I put 4 days worth of pumping in the freezer last night so I'm pretty sure they are all set. The only thing I can do I guess is check each batch as I thaw a bottle from it. I made DH smell (um, and taste ) the bad one so he knows NOT to give her a bottle if it smells that way and he knows to just throw the whole batch away.

I feel so sick about this. If anyone has any advice or thoughts I'd love to hear them. I am praying as hard as I can that the *entire* freezer can't possibly be ruined.

Update:
It's almost all gone. Almost all of my stash was ruined. I have maybe 20% left that I have to "test" to see if it's good or bad. I just couldn't bring myself to do any more today.

Thanks everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews