Monday, May 19, 2014

Holy $#%!............I did it!!!!

And I'm alive to tell the tale!  LOL!!!

I ran my first 5K on Saturday and I did pretty damn well.  I am really proud of myself.  Not something you hear out of my mouth very often but I really am.  I signed up a week before, I didn't train but I gave it my best effort and I ran it in 38:20.  I'm told that is a really great time for someone who isn't a runner and I'll take it.  

Now you know me and my mad storytelling skills so here is how it all went down. 

5:45a that morning I wake up........to torrential downpours.  W.T.F.  I couldn't go back to sleep after that.  I kept thinking to myself (okay, I might have been talking out loud to myself LOL) you're joking.  I'm going to get up off of my lazy ass and run for the first time in my life and THIS is the weather this is going to happen in?!  Really?!?! 

8a:  I'm ready to go and YAY - the rain has stopped!   YAHOOOOOO!

8:10a - Gael picks me up and we head out.  John and the kids will meet me up there in a little bit.  

So we get there and we hang out basically.  Turns out the kids started at 8:30a and the adults were starting at 9a.  So they do their speeches, they do their ceremonial things and the kids start off.   OMG they were the cutest things ever!!!   They get to run .6 miles and we all cheered them on.  Some of them were SO tiny and I'm not ashamed to say could totally kick my ass in any run, any day of the week.   Had I participated in the .6 I'm sure I would have been smoked by every single last one of them.  Must be nice to have endless amounts of energy. I don't know what that is like anymore.  *sob*

9a rolls around and it's my turn.  I'm terrified and I'm wondering where the hell my mind vacationed to when I decided it would be a good idea to say yes and register for this. WTH was I thinking?  I'm not a runner. (Scratch that.  I wasn't a runner because I'm told I now am.)  Anywho.   The guns go off - YES, literally, the GUNS WENT OFF.   After I wet my pants I took off.  Were guns really necessary?!  I honestly felt like ducking for cover but I would have been run the hell over by all of the people behind me if I had!   So I'm running - wait, I'm RUNNING!!!  Nice!  Off we go, we're running, it's great.  I can't keep this up forever, clearly.  I didn't train.  So I go a fairly respectable distance and I have to walk.  I'm realizing I have a fast walk though because Gael has to jog to keep up with my walk.   So we're just trucking away and we get to a point where Gael points and says "Yes Girl!  You just passed the 1 mile marker."  I literally turn to her and say Excuse me, you are fucking kidding me.  She says what, you're doing awesome!!  I want to cry.  I thought that was the 1 mile LEFT MARKER.   OMG.   I tell her I can't do it.   But of course I keep on going.  I'm not stopping, I'm just a big baby and I am hating this.  But I'm still running and walking when I need to.   Run, walk, jog, rinse, lather, repeat.   I do what I need to do and I push through.  

I get to where I can see where we need to go to finish and I push through and start running..........down the shoot I go.  38:20 is my final time.  I go and get water.  I get a banana.  I try not to fall over/pass out/puke.  I am sore but I did it.  Hell, two days later I'm still sore.  But I. Did. It.  I ran my first 5K............and I'm doing it again.  June 14th - bring on the next one!!!!  Maybe I'll actually train this time.....what do you think?  

My first official BIB!!!!!

Tiff and I before the 5K started
Mandy, Tiff and myself - we did it! (they weren't newbies but I was!)

The kids were proud of their Mama.  So cute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews