Monday, July 11, 2011

The waiting game

I had my interview today.
I think it went really well. B said I was "obviously" well qualified. She said I "obviously" had the skill set. Yay, definite positives! I'm well experienced in what she is looking for.

But, of course, there is a downside.

My compressed work week. Right now I work Monday through Thursday 6:30a - 5:00pm. I have Fridays off. P&G is a huge supporter of the work / life balance. When I applied for the CWW I played up the w/l balance. I have four days of work and three days of family time. I love this schedule. Yes, it makes for long days. But I have three days of family time and that means the world to me. On Fridays, when school is in session, I volunteer. I have long weekends. We can take three day camping trips. I don't have to use vacation time for it. It is amazing and I really do not want to give it up.

This might be a sticking point for the new role though. I could tell that B was antsy about it. I have a feeling she'd be high maintenence. I could almost hear her saying to herself, "but what if I need her to do something for me on a Friday?!" I kind of almost felt bad for her. She asked if I have a Blackberry. I said no, but if they wanted me to have one I wouldn't be opposed to it. I said if I had a BB and did the CWW I'd definitely be checking in on my phone (b/c I'm Type A and I like to know what is going on if I'm able). I also told her that if they absolutely needed me on a Friday I would be perfectly willing to swap a day here and there. That I could be flexible. I am willing to do almost anything. I just really can't give up the CWW. Right now it just means too much for my family. I explained I have three young children at home. That being home with them that extra day a week, being able to volunteer at their schools, was huge. That I worked really hard to get the CWW and I'd have to think long and hard about giving it up. I told her that I wanted to be honest with her and let her know exactly where I was coming from. She said she appreciated it and she's sure she'd be talkign to my manager.

So, while I still have my fingers crossed I might be just a tad less optimistic about things now. I am confident that everything will work out however it's meant to. If I'm meant to have this new opportunity then I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews