Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Monday........and I'm okay with that!

Who ever says that?   I know, I know, you're wondering if my crack pipe is still warm.  Or even hot for that matter.  I assure you, that was not one of the activities I picked up over the weekend.  But my weekend was just SO good that I didn't even mind waking up to a Monday morning.  Le sigh. 

Friday morning I had parent/teacher conferences for Erynn.  Truthfully I expected this meeting to go off without a hitch.  Erynn is not a worry.  Not bragging, honestly, just stating a fact.  She really is easy.....come on, how many times have I been told she is just like her Mother?  HA!  But seriously, I shit you not, Mrs. Cicci told me she wishes she had a class FULL of Erynn's.  Oh my.  I thought my heart was going to burst right out of my chest.  What Mom wouldn't want to hear that about her child?!  Mrs. C said that Erynn is a joy to be around.  Very easy going, always happy, always making sure that everyone is included.  She said if there is a child who is shy or on the "outskirts" of the group Erynn is the one who gets up, goes over and brings them in to play with everyone.  She is very motherly.  Yup, that's definitely my little girl.  I am so proud of her!!  Mrs. C asked what I was thinking about Kindergarten next year and I told her I've already enrolled Erynn in the full day class.  She said that's great and that Erynn is more than ready for it - that she thinks she'll do wonderfully.  YAY!  

Next stop was Aidan's school.  I volunteered to help his teacher, Mrs. Verlicco, sort books.  Oh my - I didn't know what I was in for lol.  She had a table stacked high plus a 3-shelf bookcase.   All of them were labeled with the numeric system but needed to be sorted and filed accordingly.  Mrs. V said she didn't expect me to do them all.  Does she realize who she had in her room?  ;-)   I had expected to be there for 3 hours so I knew I was most likely going to get it done.   First - that woman is a saint.  I have NO idea how she does what she does day in and day out.  Some of the kids in her class are TOUGH!!  They are fresh, they don't listen, they interrupt, they are rude.  OMG.  I was shocked.  When I arrived the music teacher was in there and he had about 10 min left.  He said he was disappointed that he didn't get to show the kids what was in the box of instruments he'd brought because some of them couldn't pay attention and stop talking so he didn't get to go through everything he intended on doing.  Awful.  It didn't get much better.  I now know why Mrs. V said there were definitely some kids she didn't see Aidan having playdates with and thank you Mrs V for steering me clear of them.  Aidan was very excited to have me in his classroom so his attention did wander a bit but I would sternly put him right back on course.  I wasn't there to distract, I was there to help out his teacher.  Lunch time rolled around and I was still sorting.  Aidan wanted me to eat with him, Mrs. V said it was up to me.  I had a raging migraine so the last thing I was up for was heading into a cafeteria with screaming children but how could I say no?  Interesting little tidbit.....parents are not allowed to eat in the lunchroom with children.  What?!   I was pulled out of the lunchroom by the Asst Principal.  Oh my.  She brought me in to see the Principal who informed me that they have a rule - parents aren't allowed.  Um, okay.  She said 1. they don't have enough seats.......2. they don't want the student to feel singled out by having their parent eat with them.......3. they don't want the other children whose parents can't eat lunch with them to feel badly.   Now I can get down with the reasoning behind #3 but the other two?  Not so much.  However, it's not my school and I have respect so I said I completely understand I sat out in the lobby for 30 min until I could return to Mrs. V's room.   I let her know that parents weren't allowed in the lunchroom and she apologized profusely - I told her it wasn't her fault, I only wanted her to know in case this happened in the future.  I wasn't mad at all.  Aidan was really upset, he got all teary eyed and asked why I hadn't returned to the lunchroom as the Asst Principal had told him she was only "borrowing" me for a minute.  I explained briefly and told him we'd talk more later.   I stayed for another 30 min, finished up all of the sorting and went on my merry way.  My time in 2nd grade was done for the day.  :)


Saturday was jam-packed.  Aidan had an eye doctor appt in the morning so I decided to make this a Mommy/Aidan day.  I took him to his appt where we learned that he is going to try a new treatment for his eye turning in.  The eye is working too hard to keep straight which could cause him trouble later in life so the Dr is having a prism put in the right lens.  He'll wear an eye patch for an hour a day, every day, over the next year which will train the eye to stay straight on its own without relying on the muscle to do all the work.  The prism will be intensified over the year and will hopefully do the trick.  We'll pick up his new glasses this week and begin the treatment.  Fingers crossed!  After the dr we went to B&N for Aidan to pick out a special book as a reward for getting 102 (with extra credit) on his book report!  He's been having trouble in school and is being tested for a learning disability soon so this was a HUGE accomplishment.  I am SO proud of him!  He wanted to get a book on the human skeletal system as he's been learning about it in school and we found one perfect for kids.  He also picked out one of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  He and I will practice his reading together - I'm hoping chapter books will be a good step for him.  He then asked if he could pick out a special book for his brother and sister.  (I love how my kids think of one another!!)  After the bookstore we went on a lunchdate where he told me that "this has been the best Mommy day EVER!"  It's the little things.  Just spending a little alone time with each kid is all that matters.  I used to do this all the time but life gets in the way.  I'm going to refocus on this again. 

After we got home Ryan's two friends came over.  Twin 7 yr old boys named Sean and Nathan.  They were coming for a sleepover - our first friend from school sleepover!  They are right in the middle of Aidan and Ryan's ages.  We went bowling with them and then took all 5 kids out to dinner.  Oh if you could have SEEN the looks we got.   Some people were even bold enough to ask if all 5 kids were ours.  Ballsy people, really ballsy.  I was tempted to say yes but I can not tell a lie.  I was just floored that people would even ask!!  The kids were all amazing and we had a really great time.  Everyone came back to the house, we all got in our pj's and we settled the boys in their beds to watch a movie.  Um, at 10:30p they were still awake!  Well, 3 out of 4........and it was AIDAN who had passed out lol.  The youngers were still awake.  They finally fell asleep but they were wide awake and ready to go at 7a.  We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast and Andrea picked the twins up at 10a because they had a birthday party to go to. 

After Sean and Nathan left I had to run some errands for work.  Yes, this is exactly what I want to do on the weekend.....on my day off.  But I didn't have much choice.  I was in charge of a bridal shower for one of my coworkers and I needed to get the cake, the decorations and the gift card......shower is this afternoon.  I decided to take advantage and make it a Mommy/Ryan day.  He was super excited.   We went to Konditor Meister first to get the cake.  He wanted to pick out a couple of things for his brother and sister so of course I let him.  (again, love that he thought of them) Then we hit the Plaza because I had to return something at Sephora.  I also promised Ryan that he could get a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book because when he saw Aidan's the day before he decided he wanted one too.  He picked his out and then we went out for our own little lunchdate.  He was so cute at the restaurant.  Our waiter's name was John so Ryan loooooved that......told him HEY!  That's my Dad's name!  lol.  We left the mall after that, hit Target and then Stop and Shop, then home.  We pulled in the driveway and Ryan said Mom, I loved today, can we do it again?  I said yes, we are going to do this a lot more - I promise.  He said YEAH!  *heart melts*

Not much more after that.  I got a TON of kid time in, John helped me out with the laundry, he and I got in cuddle/couch time AND I managed to finish up book 4, start and finish book 5 and start book 6 in a series I'm reading.  That's a kick ass weekend if I do say so myself........hence the total satisfaction I'm having this fine Monday morning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews