Thursday, January 17, 2013

Happy New Year! AKA: Let's make resolutions we may or may not keep!

This year I decided to do it different.  I wanted to be realistic.  I'm not all gung ho about NY resolutions.  That's just not me.  But I like thinking of things I'd like to do/change/try.  That's fair. 

So here's what I came up with for 2013...in no particular order:

1.  Build our savings back up. John being out of work for so long completely cleaned ours out.  It's to be expected, that's why you have a savings account.  To help you out in the bad times.  But now it's time to rebuild.  So that's exactly what I plan on doing.  I've begun working on this and it's going pretty well already.  I'm going to keep it up and get us back on track!



2.  Do the "52 Week Money Challenge."  Gotta love Pinterest.  For every week of the year you deposit that amount into savings.  At the end of 52 weeks you'll have $1,378.  Um, what?!  How easy is that?  I'm opening an account here at work so it's not money I'll have ready access to.  I won't be tempted and it can be a rainy day fund or emergency fund.  The money I deposit isn't a huge amount of money but it will add up to be a decent amount.


3.  Get back into date nights once a month. We started this last year and it totally fizzled out.  It's so easy to fall into the same old routine of not getting a sitter or letting this slip because it's easier to just hang out on the couch.  We become compliant and don't put the effort into ourselves anymore.  Well, no more.  We've already got one coming up in a few weeks and I can't wait. 



4.  No more drama, no more bullshit.  Seriously.  I'm too old for this shit.  At this point in my life I am trying to learn that we are all who we are.  People are going to love me or leave me.  We aren't all going to get along and THAT IS OKAY.  We aren't all meant to.  Different strokes as they say.  That being said, I don't have to put up with the crap that comes along with it either.  So, I'm not going to.  It doesn't have to be a big to do and, in fact, it shouldn't be.  I just can't do drama anymore because it takes away from who *I* am and I will no longer allow this to happen.


5. Keep losing weight!!  Amen, please and thank you.  2012 was finally a turning point for me in my never ending weight loss journey.  30+ lbs and counting!  This year I plan to continue that journey.  I do need to add on toning as well. It isn't just about the number, it's about getting into shape.  I bought my first pair of SKINNY jeans this year and dare I say I don't look half bad in them?  My BIG goal here is to NOT buy the "skirted" Mommy swimsuit for summer.  I'd love to not have to hide behind that this year. 


6.  More camping this summer.  Our family camping weekends mean so much and we have so much fun - I just want to get more of them on the calendar this year.  I love making these memories with our kids.  Doesn't have to be exclusively trips at Normandy Farms, this just happens to be our favorite campground.  I'm happy to try new places this year, I just want to go more often!


7.  More beach trips.  Last year was the first year we actually made an effort to get to the beach on a monthly basis and the kids LOVED it.  I am going to make sure we do it again this year.  At least once a month I plan to spend the day at the beach and hopefully with friends like we did last year.  It's a great day trip and so inexpensive.  We all have fun walking the beach, collecting shells, building sand castles.  FUN!

8.  Diva Dash in September.  This one is huge for me.  I've never done anything like it but I committed to my friend that I'd do it and once I say I'll do something, I do it.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.   I think it will be hysterical and I can't wait to say I completed one!  I know for some experienced people the Diva Dash might not be a big deal but to me it's a BIG deal and I can't wait!  Bring on a new challenge!!!


That is a fairly decent list, in my opinion.  Varied and totally realistic for me.  Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews