Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Steroids? Sure, why the hell not?!

If I blogged about my migraines I'd be back to blogging on a daily basis lately.  Maybe that is what I should do to get back on track!  Hmmmmm.

It's been 3, almost 4 weeks I think, that I've had this migraine/headache.  Same one.  At worst it's a migraine and at best it's a headache.  I went on a 9 day Maxalt coupled with 3 Aleve at the same time pill course and that did nothing.  Now I'm on a 5 day course of steroids.  The last time I had to do the steroid bit was a couple of months ago and it actually worked so, *fingers crossed*, this does the trick again. 

My neurologist has increased my Topomax again as well.  Now I will take 50mg every morning and 100mg every night.  I'm hoping this will lessen the frequency of my migraines.  I was on a great streak for a while there.  Life was good!  But lately they have been back on an upswing and then I fell into this rut. 

People ask how I function, how I can just go on with my day / week / life with a migraine.  Well, I ask how can I stop??   My world can't just be put on hold because I get a migraine.  Those of you who have migraines will know what I'm talking about.  Sure, there are days where I would do anything to not have to get up and go to work.  Or,if it's a weekend, get up and deal with my kiddos, do the laundry, the housework, the day-to-day.   But what choice do I have?  That's just not a reality.  Nor would it be fair to those around me.  There are days that I go home and I cry myself to sleep because the pain is so bad.  There are days that I go home, kiss my husband and my kids and then I go straight to bed.  I am VERY lucky because I have a husband that puts up with this.  He may not understand what it's like to have a migraine but he can take one look at me and see how much I am suffering.  Actually, most people can take one look at me and see because I'm not very good at hiding it.  But, I push through because I have to.  That's just the way it is.  Again, if you get migraines, you know what I am saying. 

Hopefully the steriods break this cycle.  Hopefully the med increase will put me back on the right track and get me back to less migraines.  I'm keeping a positive outlook - I know I can get back to where I need to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews